Monday, March 29, 2010

SD Dokuwashi

SD Dokuwashi

Described as the "Guardian of Ghostland" this little guy is a "super deformed" mini version of the full size Dokuwashi vinyl figure designed by Brian Flynn. While the full size Doku is a more traditional vinyl toy, the SD version is a limited, hand painted resin piece.

I'm a total sucker for anything that Brian Flynn designs, especially when it's Ghostland related. I have a humble collection of his toys, and lately I've been doing my best to pick up some of the recent releases from Super7, as well as quite a few of their earlier releases. Unfortunately, when this was originally released I just didn't have the funds and had to pass on it, like I do with so many amazing figures that just don't fit into my toy budget.

To my great surprise and delight, my wonderful fiancee Alicia surprised me on Christmas by letting me know she had ordered one for me! (Just one of many reasons I'm marrying her.)



It really has to be seen in person to be appreciated. I know that can be said about many vinyl/resin figures, but I was just so astounded at how great this piece looked when it arrived. It's got a definite mass to it, not as light as I had expected, but still very delicate and I'm terrified of accidentally chipping it. The paint is evenly and skillfully applied, there are smooth gradients and the colors just dance with each other perfectly. The face is consistent with the recognizable Ghostland style, right down to the forehead "crack line." It's also interesting how the total simplicity of the head contrasts with the intricacy of the body. The form of the whole piece is simple and effective, and the detailing of the scales covering his body just adds an extra level of visual interest to an already unique shape.

SD Dokuwashi - Signature & Feet

One of the best details though, is under the figure...not only did Mr. Flynn go to the trouble of putting in a great pattern there, but he gave the Dokuwashi tiny feet! He could have easily just made this toy have a flat base and is still would have been awesome, but going the extra mile really shows, once again, how much Super7 really cares about the figures they design. The passion they have for toys is evident in everything they do, (just look at the recent Shogun Stormtrooper's obsessive level of authenticity) and it's one of the reasons that I've become such a huge fan.

This is without a doubt one of my favorite pieces in my collection. Simply awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment